How To Decorate Your Trees
When decorating your trees, it’s important to make sure they aren’t damaged. Here are some ideas to brighten up your yard while ensuring your trees remain healthy and strong.
Hanging lights is a common way to decorate trees. However, doing so incorrectly can damage them, so make sure to follow these tips:
- Don’t use nails or staples to attach the lights to the tree, as this will damage the bark and expose the tree to harmful bacteria and insects. Use electrical tape or straps instead.
- Don’t wrap lights around the tree too tightly because this can damage the bark and stunt the tree’s growth.
- Use only lights designed for outdoor use. Using indoor lights can burn a tree.
Hanging birdhouses is a colourful and creative way to decorate a tree with the added benefit of attracting birds to your yard. Here are some recommendations for doing so:
- Choose a tree that provides food for birds such as a cherry, mulberry or crab apple. The tree should have a diameter of 10 to 30 centimetres and low branches so the birds can perch near the birdhouse.
- Don’t purchase or make a birdhouse that’s too heavy. Take into account the weight of the birds and chicks. You don’t want the house to fall with a nest full of baby birds inside.
- Don’t use nails or screws to attach the birdhouse to the tree. Use nylon straps instead. Loosen the straps every once in a while to allow the tree to grow. Straps that are too tight for too long can damage your tree.
Use creative signs
Signs with clever quotes or thoughts are another way to add expression and inspiration to your yard or garden. Avoid damaging your trees with the following tips:
- Use straps instead of nails or screws. Or, use a rope and hang your sign from a branch.
- Don’t place a sign around the base of the tree because you can damage the roots and prevent water from reaching them.
- If you’re hosting a wedding, anniversary or birthday party, you may want to loosely wrap some twine around a tree and hang photos from the string using paper clips.
Tree experts in Edmonton and surrounding areas of Alberta
The Edmonton arborists at All Season Tree Service can help keep your trees looking beautiful with professional tree pruning services and tree and shrub shaping. We can also help improve the look of your yard with stump grinding services and the removal of dead or diseased trees. To schedule an appointment with one of our professional arborists contact us today.